Snowdon Summit FAQ
What facilities are at the summit of Snowdon?
- Hafod Eryri is the Visitor Centre at the Summit of Snowdon. The centre has a refreshment area offering a selection of hot and cold handheld snacks and a variety of drinks. A range of souvenirs and outdoor leisure and living items is available from the gift shop also within the centre. Toilets and baby changing facilities are available when the centre is open.
- Hafod Eryri is operated by Snowdon Mountain Railway as a commercial outlet and only food and drink which has been purchased in the centre may be consumed in the building.
When is Hafod Eryri open during the year?
- Hafod Eryri will open as soon as access by train is possible in the spring, but the date is dependent on winter weather on the mountain, and it will usually close at the end of October. As both the opening and closing dates are weather dependent we advise visitors to check the Snowdon Mountain Railway website for up to date details.
What are the daily opening and closing times?
- During the operating season the building will aim to open at 10:00 a.m. If bad weather, mechanical or other problems prevent the trains from running then the Summit building may not be able to open. Access to the building is closed 20 minutes prior to the last passenger train leaving. There are no facilities at the Summit once the building has closed.
- If weather conditions deteriorate suddenly Hafod Eryri may need to close at very short notice.
- It is possible to check with Snowdon Mountain Railway for the anticipated daily opening times of Hafod Eryri.
Can I buy a single train ticket from the summit?
- There are a limited number of single tickets available to travel down the mountain but these are only sold on a standby basis. There is no guarantee of a ticket so please be aware that anyone who walks up Snowdon must also be prepared for the walk back down.
What can the weather be like on Snowdon?
- The weather on Snowdon can be extremely changeable and the difference between conditions in Llanberis and at the Summit may be considerable.
- Check the weather forecast at http://www.mwis.org.uk/sd.php or http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/loutdoor/mountainsafety/snowdonia/snowdonia_latest_pressure.html .
- It is advisable that suitable outdoor clothing and footwear are worn.
Are dogs allowed into Hafod Eryri?
- Only registered service dogs are permitted in Hafod Eryri and on the train. Staff may ask for proof of registration. There are tethering rings on the exterior of the building where dogs may be left at the owner’s discretion.
Paths on Snowdon
- For information about Snowdon paths http://www.eryri-npa.gov.uk/visiting/walking.
a lifetime Click here for details.